Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Not Another Love Story

Recently there was a short story competition in Infosys.
I don't know who finally won it but the stories that I
usually come across in the company forums are mostly
mushy love stories.
I don't have a problem with love stories...but isn't love an expression between
parents and children; between sister and brother; between friends as well?
Why don't young writers try to explore this path more instead of the same
young boy meets young girl criteria.
Well maybe I am old now or whatever but reading stories that reflect life
seems more interesting.
Recently I finished a short story book by Jeffrey
Archer ..."Cat-o-nine tails". Most of the stories were real life incidents
of convicts. The book was wonderful . Only one story was not
a story of a convict. In case you want to read, won't like to spoil
the suspense; but only after I finished reading it did I realize it
was a love story. Yet it was so subtle; so beautifully layered...
that the author does not just convey the main protagnist's love
but also a basic trait of human psychology.

Love stories are stories of life...but
Guy-meets-gal-i-love-you stories a definite no-no.
Spare me from these any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment